Blog Post 9-12-19

• These past few weeks in pottery I have been trying to redirect my focus for my portfolio and my exhibit at the end of the year. I am trying to  create a central theme for all my pieces to follow so the exhibit has a flow. I know that I want to focus on the human form, mostly busts, sculptures, and maybe some utilitarian projects with humans incorporated. I am fascinated with the human body and how all of it’s systems and parts connect to create a balanced human being. I am leaning more towards the female specimen, just because I am more intrigued by the female body and I feel like I will have better luck sculpting something I am familiar with. I also feel like the female body is easier to distort and change to make it unique, which is also a direction i would like to explore. I have begun sculpting a bust out of red earthenware, but i have chosen to leave the face mostly featureless. It has indentations for the eyes and a nose, but no mouth or ears or cheekbones . I wanted the face to be as plain as could be while still keeping it recognizable. The reason for this is that i want to do some crazy colorful glazing that doesn’t coincide with the features of the face. I want it to look as if it were just dipped in a print.